The Making: Sakura Cake


Hi! I should have written this post since earlier this year but anyway I made this cake for a pretty lady around Chinese New Year period for her birthday and it's a pink sakura cake :)
First, I used a medium rose cutter to cut out the petals and imprinted the veins to make it have some sort of  texture and look more realistic.
Then I used a ball tool and another tool to cup the petals and indent the centre.

Then I put them on the flower cups  and brushed some pink petal dust in the centre to make it have some depth.
Also brushed on some pink edible glitter for a lovely shining effect.
I cut out more blossoms with a smaller blossom cutter and did the same as the larger blossoms to all of them.
After drying, I put some sugar pearls in the centre using gumpaste glue.
While waiting for the blosoms to dry completely, I prepared the board to make it look like it was a piece of hardgrained wood.

Once the cake was covered with fondant,I covered the bottom edges with shapes molded from a sillicone border mold.

After that I marked, where the branches would go on the cake freehand. This is where your artistic judgement comes out!
I first stuck on the main branch.
I even made a branch looking like a snake..you know..because 2013 is the year of the Snake! heheh..
Here I'm showing you how I made the main trunk as if  'growing out' of the 'wooden' board.
Here you see how the branches wrapped around the entire cake.

Then after that I simple stuck on the dried sugar blossoms all around the branches and it was done!




All the other angles of this flowery cake.
Pretty cake for a pretty lady all done :))

No comments:

Post a Comment