The Making: Owl Cake



Hi today I'm going to be writing about how I made a cute owl cake.
 This cake design is not mine as I based this cake on the photo that the client gave me but I tweaked it a bit to make it mine. Basically, this owl cake design involved drawing a lot of circles and I used whatever I had at hand like cutters and even cointainer covers to achieve that. You could use a proper geometric tool called a compass to do that too..but I think I lost it after high school so yeah I didn't bother with that!
This is how it looked like after the drawing was done on an 8 inch round paper.
This cake design involves layering so I had to figure out which layer to put on first and decided that the feather on the chest of the owl should go first. I made these using a medium rose cutter and cut the petals one by one...
...and stuck it on the round owl body base like so starting from the bottom.
Next, I made top part of the owl using brown fondant and cut it like so.

I won't go too much into the detailing of the cake because it basically involved making a few sugar flowers and leaves stuck on a tree trunk with branches which is quite straightforward. The eyes were simple fondant cut out in circles and stuck on based on the drawing I made.
Here you can see I added some colourful hearts on the sides of the cake.
Another view from the top.
Side views again. I think the fondant based which was embossed with the lattice texture mat complimented the whole look of the cake.
So there you have a cute pink girly owl cake!



1 comment: